Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sample Cover Letter - Union Organizer/Administrative Assistant

Sample Cover Letter - Union Organizer/Administrative Assistant

Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Email

Date

Dear Hiring Committee,

I am responding to your posting on Craig's list. I am currently unemployed since being laid-off from a full-time position with xxxxxxx. Here is a summary of my skills:

--Communications
--Non-profit experience
--Computer proficiency
--Organizing office procedures
--Training and supervisory experience
--Public relations
--Database maintenance

I am a long-time activist and grew up in a family that is pro-union. My great-uncle was a Wobbly. My uncle remembers meetings at his house with Emma Goldman. Only weeks ago, at my cousin's funeral (his son), I was asked to sing "Solidarity Forever" and "Joe Hill". There were over 200 people present including family, friends and colleagues of my cousin. The lyrics to the songs were printed in the program. I asked people to sing with me and was very surprised when almost everyone sang along, and many raised there fists each time the words "solidarity forever" was sung. I've told a number of friends about the experience of singing these songs. I was shocked and disheartened to learn how few of them had even heard of either of the songs. It is apparent, that the long, bitter, struggle forworker rights is something that is not being taught in our schools.

When I worked in the "dot-com" world, there were frequent on-line discussions around the topic of unionization. The majority of participants were anti-union. The young people who voluntarily worked ten to 12 hour days in the hopes of quickly cashing in on their stock options, took the "eight hour" work day for-granted.

Since 1995, I've volunteered for xxxxxxxxxxxxx. I began as a writer/editor with the newsletter, assisted in producing various special events, and have been active in volunteer recruitment and web site management.

Last summer I completed a seminar at A Circle of Ten, Inc. - an intensive workshop that explored the process of collaboration, community development, and fundraising. I know that unions are essential in insuring a voice for employees. I am excited at the prospect at being part of the tradition that protects employee rights.

I look forward to hearing from you to arrange an interview as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Your Signature

Your Typed Name